[lbo-talk] hard work

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 22:54:52 PST 2007

A third possibility to add to Michael's two explanations of why the rich bother to work: Marx was right. Work that's self-directed is a source of self-realization, identity, disalienation, and community. Idleness is boring and empty. There are only so many spas, walking tours of Italy, hours on the beach in Tahiti, and affairs with movie starlets or your friends' trophy wives and husbands that you can stand before going batty. Presumably the rich can choose work they like, and having the permanent possibility of an escape hatch makes a big difference even if it's work that is a lot like what people who _have_ to work do.

My late mother in law, a school district superintendent in Queens, was not rich but (after growing up dirt poor in Hell's Kitchen in the Depression) was very well off, thanks to the NYC teacher's union and its pension program, and worked for less money than she would have received under her pension under less than ideal conditions three years past her retirement date -- that is, she not only worked for the city public schools three years for free, she paid for the privilege. And this was not a woman who didn't know what to do with herself outside the job or know how to keep herself occupied on her own. She used every inch of the city up to the day she died.

I think in her case it was a combination of the iron cage and the identity and community that work gave her, as well as the meaning and structure it imposed on her life, although she was happily able to recreate those for herself when she did finally actually retire. Lots of people aren't.

Doug, don't the statistics show that there's a big spike in mortality shortly after retirement? Not working can be hazardous to your health even when you don't have to work. I don't mean to say that the rich work because they know this and view work as a health measure, but it shows that the work they do is fulfilling and beneficial, thus good for them, and that's a reason they do it.