[lbo-talk] Sam Smith on Doug Henwoodlbo

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 23:05:14 PST 2007

According to Gould, Kamin, and other critics of psychometrics, if I recall correctly, IQ tests were introduced on a large scale in the US in WWI to test and sort soldiers; the results were then used in the immigration debates leading to the anti-immigration laws of the 1920s, and then became legitimated in the social scientific and public mind as a measure of "intelligence" rather than a limited tool to identify learning-disabled kids. Their use in sorting, ranking, and normalizing (to use the Foucauldian terms) the population is intimately tied up with "aptitude" testing (the SAT, LSAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.) and the rise of ETS after World War II. And now of course we have a federal mandate, No Child Left Untested, guaranteeing that only subjects that will be tested will be taught.