[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 46, Issue 1

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 11 07:43:03 PST 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 10:15 AM, Michael McIntyre wrote:

> If you're rich and want to work, why bother to work for money?

The upper class used to think that way, or so it seems to me - rich men might work in publishing, or write poetry, and women had their charity projects. That doesn't look to be true anymore; like I said the other day, socialites now want to give the impression of working, to the point where even the largely useless Tinsley Mortimer has a handbag line. My working theory of this transition is that the old WASP ethic of "stewardship" and "service" has been replaced by the arriviste ethic of profit maximization.

Doug