[lbo-talk] Noam on intellectuals

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 08:13:02 PST 2007

> I asked Noam Chomsky to elaborate on his embrace of American anti-
> intellectualism, and if he considered himself an intellectual. Here's
> his answer:
>
> > In standard usage, "intellectual" means someone who has sufficient
> > privilege, resources, opportunities, etc., so as to be able to
> > reach some kind of audience on matters of general human interest.
> > Has nothing particular to do with insight, knowledge,
> > intelligence,.... By "anti-intellectualism" I meant the strain in
> > American culture that doesn't take intellectuals too seriously,
> > about the opposite extreme from Paris, where if one of the famed
> > "intellectuals" sneezes, there's a front-page story in Le Monde and
> > everyone gasps with awe. In these terms, I'm an intellectual, and
> > Americans shouldn't take me seriously for that reason. I'm all in
> > favor of that.
>
> Me, I don't think an "intellectual" is one with privileges,
> resources, connections, etc., or shouldn't be. An intellectual is
> someone with specialized knowledge, the capacity to synthesize facts
> and ideas into some sort of analysis, the skills to circulate their
> knowledge and analysis through words and images. Like Noam Chomsky,
> who deserves to be taken seriously.

Noam Chomsky is taken seriously, even in the USA, to say nothing of the rest of the world, probably much more so than any of the French intellectuals who have made the front page of Le Monde. So are many other American intellectuals on the Left, like Ralph Nader, Michael Moore, the late and lamented Edward Said, the late and lamented Stephen Jay Gould, etc. What makes American intellectuals different from those of the rest of the world is that in America intellectuals, when they get taken seriously, become individually famous and acquire individual followings, and their sayings and doings, however correct, do not help build enduring popular movements and institutions, especially political parties.

In other words, American intellectuals are the antithesis of "organic intellectuals" as defined by Gramsci:

The working class, like the bourgeoisie before it,

is capable of developing from within its ranks

its own organic intellectuals, and the function of

the political party, whether mass or vanguard,

is that of channelling the activity of these organic intellectuals

and providing a link between the class and certain sections

of the traditional intelligentsia. The organic intellectuals of

the working class are defined on the one hand by their role

in production and in the organisation of work and on the other

by their "directive" political role, focused on the Party.

It is through this assumption of conscious responsibility,

aided by absorption of ideas and personnel from

the more advanced bourgeois intellectual strata,

that the proletariat can escape from defensive corporatism

and economism and advance towards hegemony

("The Intellectuals," _Prison Notebooks_, 1949/1971, <http://www.marxists.org/archive/gramsci/editions/spn/problems/intellectuals.htm>). -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>