[lbo-talk] real movies for kids

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Feb 11 08:35:47 PST 2007

dws wrote:
> "A Bug's Life" (granted, a Disney movie) may as well be acting out the
> Communist Manifesto-- it's a fun film where the bug-laborers (ants, I
> think-- it's been several years) unite at the end to expropriate the
> means of production from the grasshoppers who are living off their labor.

Actually, you are thinking about the movie "Antz" which stars Woody Allen as the neurotic ant protagonist. The movie has clear class struggle themes and has good message about cooperation.

"A Bugs Life" is pretty good for a Disney film.

I suggest skipping "Robots". A rehash of th "Toy Story" storyline.

My 10-year-old niece really likes "Napoleon Dynamite". She also watches lots of TV, so I can't vouch for her other tastes.

One of these days I will go off about how the Disney Channel is rotting the brains of kids with messages about social climbing, attractiveness fetishism, materialism and so on. It's brilliant how they wrap all of this is in a pretty multicultural wrapper.

Trying to remember films I enjoyed as a kid. Remember the one about the red balloons. Dr. Seuss movies are excellent and have a solid political message.

Chuck