[lbo-talk] real movies for kids

Gary Mongiovi MONGIOVG at stjohns.edu
Sun Feb 11 09:48:01 PST 2007

I'm a big fan of Max & Dave Fleischer's animated Gullivers' Travels (1939). It holds up astonishingly well, puts across an antiwar message, and remains by turns hilarious and touching. There is a scene toward the end, in which one of the characters tries to prevent a gun from going off, that has as much dramatic energy as anything ever put to film. Puts most of Disney's stuff to shame. The music is great too.

Joe Dante's "Small Soldiers" is also a favorite of mine (more great music). It's about a kid whose toy, Archer (a lion-like action figure) turns out to be a visitor from another planet. Archer's noblilty & gentleness (though he is a warrior) are powerfully contrasted with the lunkheaded destructiveness of the military toys, the GI Joe types, who are out to capture and destroy him. This pic got creamed by the critics, but it's one of Dante's best films, quite moving in parts, and one that is particularly suitable for kids.

Then there are three wonderful flicks by Carroll Ballard: The Black Stallion, Fly Away Home and Duma.

Hope this is useful.

Regards.

Gary

Message: 3 Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:18:08 +0100 From: "Colin Brace" <cb at lim.nl> Subject: [lbo-talk] real movies for kids To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Message-ID:

<aec9371b0702110218p17ab3c22sc259fdbe90a75631 at mail.gmail.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

I was talking on the phone yesterday with my sister who lives in Seattle, and we got on the subject of what movies to rent for her kids. She says she draws a blank now whenever she is in the video shop or DVD section of the public library. They've outgrown and/or gotten tired of Disney fare and rented Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too many times already. Ditto The Sound of Music (yuck). The boy is eight, likes to read. The girl is nearly six (she is still in the Disney phase but will probably watch anything her brother watches). Neither of them watch TeeVee, so their imaginations are fresh in many ways.

So I am trying to put together a list of titles for my sister to look for. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 5658 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20070211/3a379212/attachment.bin>