[lbo-talk] Sam Smith on Doug Henwood

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Feb 11 10:11:25 PST 2007

B. wrote:
> Miles,
>
> So your reference prevails over other theories that a
> unipolar, numerical score is a great predictor of
> "success" )in what field -- adolescents in academia,
> the white collar world as it's now structured, etc.?)
> Like I said, I've never met anyone personally who
> claims to have any IQ lower than 140. That includes my
> deadbeat dad. Someone's lying somewhere.

It's not one reference; it's a meta-analysis of many studies. Moreover, there are multiple meta-analyses--about 100 studies total--that all lead to the same conclusion: the higher your IQ, the better your job performance in most "white collar" jobs. This research is not rocket science: you just give a diverse group of people an IQ test, gather relevant job evaluation data for the same people, and calculate the correlation between IQ and job performance. For most white-collar jobs, the correlation is around r = .50.

Again, this is not evidence that IQ is a measure of general mental ability; I'm presenting these data as someone who agrees with Gould's critique of intelligence testing. But they are valid scientific data!

Miles