[lbo-talk] Noam on Intellectuals

Arash arash at riseup.net
Sun Feb 11 11:04:54 PST 2007

The issue for Chomsky seems to be unquestioning deference to authority. That is how he frames the topic in the interview below, using France as an example just as he did in his response to Doug. I don't agree that situation in America is any better. An intellectual's status may not hold much sway over the public in the US but that doesn't translate into our anti-intellectualism being a kind of healthy skepticism, a desire for evidence and reasoning. It's more of a "you're opinion is just as good as mine" attitude. The predictive powers of social science are such that this might be true for a number of cases, but this is a lousy justification for being ambivalent to analysis in this area as a whole. That is the same smug foolishness that guides people to dismiss global warming because their weatherman has let them down in the past.

http://www.chomsky.info/interviews/1991----.htm

I’m always struck by the fact when traveling elsewhere, let’s say to England, that the forms of deference and authority that people assume automatically are generally unknown here. For example, here there’s no problem with a university professor and a garage mechanic talking together informally as complete equals. But that is not true in England. That’s a very positive thing about the United States. Intellectuals in the United States are always deploring the fact that intellectuals here aren’t taken seriously the way they’re taken seriously in Europe. That’s one of the good things about the United States. There’s absolutely no reason to take them seriously for the most part. I remember in the 1960s, sometimes I would sign an international statement against the war in Vietnam—signed by me here, Sartre and some other person in Europe, and so on. Well, in Paris there’d be big front-page headlines; here nobody paid any attention at all, which was the only healthy reaction. Okay, so three guys signed a statement; who cares? The statement signed by 120 intellectuals in the time of the Algerian War was a major event in Paris. If a similar thing happened here, it wouldn’t even make the newspapers—correctly.

All that reflects a kind of internalized democratic understanding and freedom that’s extremely important. One shouldn’t underestimate it. I think that it’s one of the reasons why we have the Pentagon system. Compare the United States, say, with Japan. How come we had to turn to the Pentagon system as a way to force the public to subsidize high-technology industry, whereas Japan didn’t? They just get the public to subsidize high-technology industry directly, through reduction of con­sumption, fiscal measures, and soon. That makes them a lot more efficient than we are. If you want to build the next generation of, say, computers, the Japanese just say, “Okay, we’re going to lower consumption levels, put this much into investment, and build computers.” If you want to do it in the United States, you say, “Well, we’re going to build some lunatic system to stop Soviet missiles, and for that you’re going to have to lower your consumption level and maybe, somehow, we’ll get computers out of that.” Obviously, the Japanese system is more much efficient. So why don’t we adopt the more efficient system? The reason is that we’re a freer society; we can’t do it here. In a society that’s more fascist than state capitalist, and I mean that culturally as well as in terms of economic institutions, you can just tell people what they’re going to do and they do it. Here you can’t do that. No politician in the United States can get up and say, “You guys are going to lower your standard of living next year so that IBM can make more profit, and that’s the way it’s going to work.” That’s not going to sell. Here you have to fool people into it by fear and so on. We need all kinds of com­plicated mechanisms of propaganda and coercion which in a well-run, more fascistic society are quite unnecessary. You just give orders. That’s one of the reasons fascism is so efficient.