[lbo-talk] China provides access to ID database to curb fraud

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 11:15:33 PST 2007

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-02/09/content_5720728.htm

XINHUA online

China provides access to ID database to curb fraud www.chinaview.cn 2007-02-09 20:05:17

BEIJING, Feb. 9 (Xinhua) -- Con artists and swindlers in China who try to use fake ID will have a tougher time trying to pass themselves off as someone else now that the public has access to the Ministry of Public Security's population database.

Anyone can now send a text message or visit the country's population information center's website, to check if the name and the ID number of a person's identity card match. If they do match the ID cardholder's picture also appears, said the Ministry, adding that no other information is available to ensure a citizen's privacy is protected.

Completed at the end of 2006, China's population information database, the world's largest, contains personal information on 1.3 billion citizens.

Giving public accessing to the database is also designed to correct mistakes if an individual discovers that their name, number and picture don't match.

Millions of dollars are lost each year by people who use false identities. According to the Ministry of Public Security, about 90 percent of people who commit crimes hold fake ID cards.

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges