[lbo-talk] real movies for kids

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Feb 11 16:23:38 PST 2007

I hate to admit this, but the last two movies which made me cry are animation films suitable for children, teens and adults.

Both films are by Isao Takahata. Pom Poko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pom_Poko) is like the anime version of a Dr. Seuss book about the dangers of urbanism and environmental destruction. Pom Poko features a tribe of talking raccoon dogs who face the impending destruction of their enviroment, way of life, and community by encroaching suburbanization. I believe this is based on a real fight against the expansion of Tokyo in the 1960s.

Only Yesterday (Omoide Poro Poro, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_Yesterday) is a 1991 anime film by Takahata about a young woman living in Tokyo who goes on a trip to visit relatives in the countryside. This movie has lots of adult themes, so it may be more approriate for young teens. It's also a very beautiful film.

Chuck