[lbo-talk] Noam on intellectuals

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 11 17:16:54 PST 2007

> Me, I don't think an "intellectual" is one with privileges,
> resources, connections, etc., or shouldn't be. An intellectual is
> someone with specialized knowledge, the capacity to synthesize facts
> and ideas into some sort of analysis, the skills to circulate their
> knowledge and analysis through words and images. Like Noam Chomsky,
> who deserves to be taken seriously.

In _Understanding Power_, ch 3, Chomsky mentions the two definitions.

* He basically claims that your type of intellectual is pretty common throughout society. (Uses mechanics as an example.)

* Interest in politics is a separate, orthogonal issue. (Being concerned with the world as opposed to making money or watching sports.) Claims we wouldn't have such de-politicization if we had a functioning labor movement.

(Caveat: these are all off-the-cuff comments in Q&A sessions.)

Tayssir