[lbo-talk] Noam on Intellectuals

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 03:31:51 PST 2007

> On Feb 11, 2007, at 2:04 PM, Arash wrote:
>
> > For example, here there's no
> > problem with a university professor and a garage mechanic talking
> > together
> > informally as complete equals.
>
> A professor, such as Chomsky, might say that; I wonder if the
> mechanic would agree.

It might depend on where the mechanic is. Woj and others have mentioned that, at least in Europe, there seems to be less shyness among less educated people in front of higher degree holders to talk about intellectual matters outside the States. That despite the formal deference (or at least acknowlegement) that tends to be shown to degree holders.

-- Andy