[lbo-talk] Noam on intellectuals

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Feb 12 06:28:00 PST 2007

Also, in past post where Bakunin mentions the "bright worker" standing by silently while a better-eductade person has the better of him, Bakunin of course meant someone who was *potentially* "bright" whose life potential was wasted in the fields while others reaped the intellectual benefits of the work he did. The "bright worker" Bakunin quote appears in his essay "All Round Education," where he argued for universal, free public schooling, something he hoped would level the playing field a bit. This kind of school is something we now take for granted but it was a hot issue back then. (Though how those schools are structured now and teach kids, now that we have them, another issue of contention.)

-B.

^^^^^^

CB: In Michigan now , there is a danger of substantial destruction of public education, by the continuing impact of the policies of former Governor Engler , the social fascist. Charter schools, anti-teacher union legislation, and "one-state recession" are taking their toll.

The first free public education in the U.S. was for the ex-enslaved Africans. From there, the whole working class won same.