[lbo-talk] Noam on intellectuals

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 08:14:04 PST 2007

On 2/12/07, Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is Bob Moses, of SNCC fame, and intellectual? Was Malcolm X? Was
> Septima Clark? Was Myles Horton? Was Ella Baker? Just to name a few
> from the Civil Rights movement. I could name many more. I don't name
> people such as Martin Luther King, and the group of Civil Rights
> activists at Fisk University in Nashville, such as James Lawson, Diane
> Nash, James Bevel, because it is so obvious that they are
> intellectuals. By any reading of Gramsci they are also organic
> intellectuals.

One of the essential features of American identity is anticommunism and the kind of anti-intellectualism that comes with it, and Black communities have never adopted _that_ American identity wholesale.

I said that, in the absence of the "political context where organic intellectuals of the class, other workers, and traditional intellectuals can meet regularly and work together" in the USA, "religious institutions come close to providing a substitute for what Gramsci had in mind." It's significant that the most influential Black intellectuals, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X, were both religious intellectuals (Christianity for MLK, Islam for Malcolm).

As far as organized labor is concerned, the quintessential organic intellectual of it today is Andy Stern, not Reuther or Straub. What does that say? -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>