[lbo-talk] AIDS, Race, and Class

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 12 17:22:37 PST 2007

Yoshie wrote:

> AIDS activism such as that of GMHC, ACT UP, etc. has changed the lives
> of the richer half of white gay men for the better, but it doesn't
> work as a solution for poorer men and women, especially poorer people
> of color, and statistics shows it[....]

It's been a long time, but as I recall, ACT-UP did a splendid job of making the transition from activism on behalf of relatively well-off white men to not-at-all-well-off people of color, at least in NYC. Of course, The System was stacked against the darker and poorer, but there's only so much that a group like ACT-UP could have done about that. Maybe someone more familiar with ACT-UP's history can fill in the details, but this doesn't sound like a fair criticism.

Doug