[lbo-talk] AIDS in the USA, AIDS in the World

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 13 08:02:00 PST 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 10:40 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I'm not claiming it should -- I'm saying it can't. Is it so
> controversial to point out the model of identity politics doesn't work
> for the poor?

First of all, as has been pointed out, first by my own weak memory then by Jim Straub's more vivid experience, some chapters of ACT-UP did do a lot for the poor. Second, it's reductive to call ACT-UP identity politics; they represented a group of people facing an imminent horrible death. That certainly contributed to their focus, intensity, and creativity, which limits their replicability as a model. But they weren't so much around being gay but around a disease. (I remember talking to one of their drug experts back in the 80s - who is almost certainly dead now - and being blown away by how much he'd learned about virology, pharmacology, and the medical industry. Talk about organic intellectuals.) And third, you play the identity game when it suits you - you're always pointing out how X ignores the dark, the female, the Muslim.

Doug