[lbo-talk] AIDS in the USA, AIDS in the World

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 12:08:20 PST 2007

On 2/13/07, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
> > [WS:] This looks more like a model of solidarity that is penny-wise but
> > dollar-foolish. Screwing up Gore paved the way for Bush, and we all know
> > how that advanced the cause of international solidarity. In that context,
> > the Big Pharma profits were really small potatoes vs. the global threat
> > created by Bush adventurism.
>
> You seem to forget that nobody took Bush seriously in 1999.
> Remember how
> everybody was surprised when Bush stole the election in 2000?
>
> The ACT-UP activists did precisely the correct thing in confronting Gore.
>
> Fuck this pussyfooting around to serve the interests of the fucking
> Democrats.

For all we know, the action may have done the opposite and brightened Al Gore's fortune a little bit at least for some voters. One difference between Democratic and Republican administrations is that a Democratic administration responds to pressures from below, whereas a Republican one doesn't or does so less . . . or so many believe.

Commenting on a documentary about Ralph Nader, Doug said, "At a Q&A after the show, one of the filmmakers, Henriette Mantel, said that Lynne Stewart recently gave her a hard time for liking Ralph. She didn't elaborate, but I'm guessing that Stewart thinks that a Gore admin would not have indicted her" (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20070129/002344.html>).

Now, that -- "a Gore admin would not have indicted her" -- may or may not have turned true, but it is true that Democrats deliver a little for at least some.

Regarding threads on anti-intellectualism, Bitch | Lab asked, "what's at stake here?" (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20070212/002919.html>).

One of the things that are at stake, I think, is whether we have any chance of going beyond cycles of protests and voting for Democrats, for if that is all there is to politics here, anti-intellectualism is just the thing for it. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>