[lbo-talk] InfoEnclosure 2.0

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Wed Feb 14 03:24:45 PST 2007

The Weberians call it rationalization: you put the consumer to work -- serve your own soda, serve your own condiments, pump your gas, check out your groceries. That's why I call it "Bake your Own Bread and Circuses" or Tuperware 2.0.

Just had a guy call yesterday b/c I'm apparently to go-to person now for people who want ot make money fast on the Internets. Nice. Except they want a "business partner" -- i.e., work on spec. thanks, but no thanks. That kind of crap is why I'm leaving: I want to be treated like a high-priced whore, not a volunteer, damn it!

He has a Tupperware 2.0 idea for healthy lifestyle, using the Intertubes (tm) as a vehicle to build hype and connect a lot more people cheaply. Instead of individuals interacting with Web and podcast, it'd be groups of people who get together for events. (Kinda like Move on).

So, he's telling me all this and I say, "oh, Tupperware Model, it's the Tupperware model." Frick, he thought I was genius for that.

And damn it, Chuck, I wrote about this already when I said: everyone thinks it's "free" but you're paying for it. Sort of like men "pay for it" under the old gender rules where you had to take someone out for dinner and a movie to get laid. The paying for it, though, is just hidden from us and goes under the banner of "choice" -- I "choose to give up my personal information (or even my imagination in my lies) in exchange for this experience." (Remember: social scientists can crunch the lies you plug into a Web form and get information about social behavior out of that too. And it's valuable.)