[lbo-talk] AIDS in the USA, AIDS in the World

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 16:44:49 PST 2007

On 2/14/07, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:
> > "One-third of the world's population is currently
> > infected with TB"
> >
> > CB: Holy Smokes !
>
> Their own statistics contradict this statement
> extremely vividly. I suspect they meant a third of the
> world's HIV-infected population.

No. "One third of the world's population" really means exactly one third of the world's population, but it comprises all people who are "infected with TB bacilli," a majority of whom will never become sick or infectious themselves. "5-10% of people" of them will, though.

<http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs104/en/> Left untreated, each person with active TB disease will infect on average between 10 and 15 people every year. However, people infected with TB bacilli will not necessarily become sick with the disease. The immune system "walls off" the TB bacilli which, protected by a thick waxy coat, can lie dormant for years. When someone's immune system is weakened, the chances of becoming sick are greater.

* Someone in the world is newly infected with TB bacilli

every second.

* Overall, one-third of the world's population is currently

infected with the TB bacillus.

* 5-10% of people who are infected with TB bacilli

(but who are not infected with HIV) become sick

or infectious at some time during their life.

People with HIV and TB infection are much more

likely to develop TB.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>