[lbo-talk] Fwd: for quotation if you want

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 15 15:42:38 PST 2007

From: "Scott McLemee" <scott.mclemee at Insidehighered.com> Date: February 15, 2007 5:37:50 PM EST To: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: for quotation if you want

I've seen some of the discussion so far, but don't really have much to say beyond what was in my Crooked Timber posting on Monday. The Mills quotation there just about clinches it, for me.

If somebody wants to call me a cold-war liberal, that's illiterate, but I won't be surprised. I've never understood why any intelligent person could think Isaiah Berlin is an important thinker. Then again, I've never understood how either liberals or Marxists could ignore Rosa Luxemberg on freedom of conscience, or Marx himself on freedom of the press. And yet those things happen, quite a lot. That may have something to do with the fact that the labels in question don't mean as much to me as they once did.