[lbo-talk] a bitch needs to fan herself

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Feb 17 14:40:25 PST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:09:46 -0600 Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> writes:
> Congratulations, B. Hope this works out for you and creates a
> positive
> situation for you.
>
> Please send some luck my way!
>
> Last week I interviewed for a programming position at a major
> corporation here in Kansas City. This corporation was much better
> than
> most when it came to communicating with me. They sent me an
> acknowledgement letter in response to my application. Nobody ever
> does
> that. They also sent me a prompt rejection letter, in fact, they
> mailed
> it out the day after the interview, before I sent them my thank you
> letter. It was a bit disconcerting and depressing to get a FOAD that
>
> fast. There must have been something about me that prompted them to
> reject me right away.

It's always possible that someone there Googled you and and after looking at the query results, decided that while you might be a nice guy and all that, they'd rather not have around near all their pricey art work. Probably most of us here are more or less vulnerable to losing job opportunities because of the things we have posted on the Internet. Lot's of people post to lists like this under aliases because of fears that employers or potential employers might read their posts and deny them jobs on that account. I, myself, have been posting for years under my own name, so I figure that horse has left the barn a long time ago. While I don't think it would do you much good to get paranoid this, I suspect that something like this might have happened in your case, given the speed at which they rejected you.

> This is one of those major corporations that owns other
> corporations. It
> does the kind of work that this anti-capitalist loathes. Still, q
> paycheck is a paycheck and when you live a marginal financial
> existence,
> you can't afford to adhere to your principles.

And of course no one here should be surprised if a "capitalist pig" corporation should get all sensitive and decide to reject you because you are a known anti-capitalist. After all if corporations are permitted to pretend that they are persons and all that, then I suppose they can also pretend to have feelings and even hurt feelings.