[lbo-talk] a bitch needs to fan herself

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Feb 17 22:56:50 PST 2007

Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:

> Oh, I see. You're talking about DURING an interview. However, I talked
> about puzzles in email, not the ones during the interview.
>
> A portfolio of real-world code samples is fine too; some schools
> strongly encourage students to bring them to interviews.

I've heard that more than a few interviews for programmer positions have a segment where the interviewee is asked to do some coding on a white board. I've never run into this, but I'm not actually a programmer.

I'm just insulted by anything that involves a test during the interview process. Interviews are such a strange mind trip anyway--asking people to shift gears and take a test really isn't a good way to see if they know anything or can think on their feet.

I've rarely been tested during an actual interview. One of my favorite job application experiences did involve a take home quiz. That was back in the early 90s when I applied to be the librarian at the Baseball Hall of Fame. They sent applicants a quiz about baseball history which you could answer using any research methods. I went to the local public library and spent several hours answering the questions that I didn't know off the top of my head.

I didn't get the job, but they sent me a copy of their official tourist program.

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/