[lbo-talk] Morton Salt

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Mon Feb 19 10:14:08 PST 2007

so, I got two more job offers, one last Friday I forgot to mention, and one today. LAst Friday's is one that was a dead end job, this one is good, but the one I talked about last week is a keeper.

Out of curiosity, though, I wonder how this works. I would be hired as an employee of the recruiting company.

Why would a company like a recruiter go through all this, with a letter telling me how fabulous I am, indicating I'm an employee, blah blah, when they could just as easily simply make it a contract gig, specify terms of the contract and be done with it? E.g., my partner took a gig like that. It was crap, but we needed the money, crappy as it was. He's an employee of the recruiting agency with the expectation that he give two weeks notice or be fined $1500/day. They have no obligation to pay him for two weeks if they fire him. (Unlike another contract gig he took earlier this year.) Had I read the contract, I would have told him to include protection for himself, but too late now.

The ways of these recruiting companies are a mystery to me. They must be getting something out of it by classifying you as employee, rather than contractor. I mean, why write, We are "pleased to offer you employment as Product Technology Consultant. We are very impressed with your credentials and are certain of the positive contributions you will make to the Company. We are equally certain that you will find employment with Tooty Fruity Recruiter to be challenging and rewarding as well."

Dwayne, is this what you mean by "good" recruiting company? Or is it a lot of folderol? I mean, I'm under no illusions that they mean "employee" in any special way -- since termination on either of our parts is 'at will." But seriously, why go to the bother?

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)