[lbo-talk] Morton Salt

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Mon Feb 19 11:05:30 PST 2007

At 01:57 PM 2/19/2007, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>In my neck of the woods - the greater Philly metro
>area which absorbs S. Jersey, the financial district
>of Wilmington Delaware and the sprawling burbs west
>and east of the old city - what you described is
>usually done via a 1099, contract employment
>arrangement or, as in my case, you're actually hired
>by the consulting firm as an employee receiving sick,
>vacation and holiday pay and also, most critically,
>are kept employed on "the bench" between gigs (there's
>an unofficial three month grace period if you've been
>strongly billable but like most other elements of
>employment management whim determines if that's
>shortened or lengthened).

yeah. that's the deal. maybe i didn't explain it correctly. I was distracted and typing too fast.

I would be an employee. I'm "associate employee" because I am going to get married to R and don't need benefits now. So, they hire me on. For now, since the contracting company has a right to hire after 6 months.

In other words, they seem to want to talk having people in their "stable" and contracting them out on a regular basis. The firm that got me the gig I wrote about last week is like that, I guess, too.

It's all freakin' confusing!

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)