[lbo-talk] TXPD (was NYPD) act like pigs

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Feb 19 20:43:51 PST 2007

> I could go on and on. And these aren't even protest
> moments, which are of a diff. caliber of harassment. I
> think we all have similar anecdotes. Fuck the police.
>
> -B.

In my early 20s, I had two weird experiences with cops. The first, a friend and I were in his car, smoking a joint, sitting in a cul de sac, when a cop doing a "security" check saw us and flipped on his lights. My friend rolled down his window as the cop walked up, and of course the weed smell was pretty strong. So, we were ordered out of the car and told to put our hands on the front hood. The cop, using a flashlight, searched the car, but found nothing. Then he frisked us, and again, nothing. He was pissed, but he found no weed, so he let us go. Turns out in my happy haze I crammed the bag in an inner pocket in my sports jacket, which the cop never felt.

The other time came when a close friend and I were moving to NYC from Indy back in '82. I owned a '76 Mercury that was falling apart. No grill, rusted all around. A mess. But it ran, and got us to NYC. On the way there, in Jersey, a NJ state trooper pulled us over because of the condition of the car. We were told to get out of the car, and after the cop looked us over, he told us to put our hands on the nearby guardrail. So we did as he searched the car. He found nothing, came over, frisked us, found nothing, then said that he knew we had drugs on us, and if we confessed and told him where they were, he would go easy on us. Now, I was young, but not that stupid. "Fuck you!" I thought. "Find the dope yourself. I'm not helping you!" On the outside I said, "We don't have anything. We're moving to New York to live." After making a few cracks about us Indiana rubes moving to the Big Apple, he let us go, but warned that if he saw my car again on the Jersey turnpike, he'd take it in and have it dismantled.

BTW, we did have weed. About an ounce. I shoved the bag inside an 8-track tape cassette under the driver's seat. My car was such a sty that there were not only dozens of 8-tracks strewn all over, but fast food wrappers and empty soda cans on top of all that. Without a dog, that cop was screwed. And my friend and I celebrated when we reached our temporary lodgings near the city. We had a good time.

Dennis