[lbo-talk] Finding Sanity in a Mad World

Arash arash at riseup.net
Tue Feb 20 22:42:55 PST 2007

Carrol wrote:

O.K. I called the original post nonsense -- but this is equal nonsense. Brain function does not happen in a vacuum. (I have suffered from depression for 60 years -- diagnosed for about 25 years.)

Arash:

I'm not really sure what you're calling nonsense. Of course the brain doesn't operate in a vacuum, but that is a far cry from the claiming that *all* depression is ultimately caused by capitalism, which is the conclusion of the posted blog entry:

"The root of all our depression is capitalism and the only solution is to join a fighting working class party to combat it."

I was sarcastically pointing out how the proposed solution isn't to widen the focus that is considered narrow, but just to replace it with a different limited perspective. The essay briefly discusses some genuine critiques of CBT but then it just proceeds to caricature it as some kind of indoctrination for happiness meant to condition a patient into accepting the current social order. And of course the "real solution" is obvious:

"The only sane and rational alternative is to ignore the CBT people and the pills, take stock of objective reality and set about trying to change it."

I think this assessment is incredibly misguided and I find it disappointing how often it crops up. The essay tries to portray depression as just frustrated indignation looking for the proper outlet, but often times depressed individuals know exactly what they want to do but find themselves repeatedly unable to sustain the motivation to do so. If these people can acquire means to personally manage their depression I think they would be far more apt, not less as this essay argues, to work on the social issues that concern them.