[lbo-talk] War Losses Mount for Small Towns

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 10:45:18 PST 2007

The social geography of the US left these days doesn't lend itself to any task, does it? Mainstream america and the military, in the absence of being reached out to en masse by the left, has now turned against the war of their own accord, with a mixture of good and bad reasons for doing so.

Imagine the possibilities if all US leftists were offered substantial cash vouchers in exchange for moving away from college towns and the bay area. Now -there's- a project for moneybags soros to fund, if he really wants to get some de-nazification happenin...

Of course many towns with big colleges are cities in their own right. Both Richmond VA and Columbus OH have as their largest local employer the local public university, predominantly attended by working-class kids; and their own local blue-collar economy. Very different from Charlottesville and Yellow Springs. Of course the demographic future of america is in suburbs and exurbs which the left mostly boycotts in residency... our social positioning in this country just gets better and better! : (

Youngstown has a very dynamic local anti-war movement, stemming from the longtime left organizing of the Lynds and others there. McKeesport (basically part of pittsburgh area).... man, thats a tough town. Locals call it 'Tube City' bc used to produce america's metal tubing. Not anymore. Tough place. One step up from aliquippa, but, then again, so is camden NJ.

I wish some geographer would make a map or chart contrasting a state's war losses with the amount that state gets from the military-industrial complex. My impression is that the sun belt gets a ton of money per very few casualties; whereas the rust belt is vastly over-representing in death, with very little military money anymore and almost none of it in economy-stimulating hi-tech.

American recruits who are fighting the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.