[lbo-talk] War Losses Mount for Small Towns

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 21 11:38:48 PST 2007

On Feb 21, 2007, at 2:26 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> American recruits who are fighting the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.
> come from the America of small towns, in contrast to American leftists
> who tend to live in the most urban areas of America (or near college
> campuses if they live in small towns at all).

I realize this out-of-touchness is a pet theme of yours, Yoshie, but this isn't exactly true. Yes, there are a lot of small towns with one or two deaths, but a lot of those killed in Iraq came from cities. Here are the top 20 sources of deaths (processed from the raw figs at <http://icasualties.org/oif/ByState.aspx>):

New York, New York 47 Houston, Texas 27 San Antonio, Texas 23 Los Angeles, California 22 Phoenix, Arizona 16 Fort Worth, Texas 14 Tucson, Arizona 13 Baltimore, Maryland 12 El Paso, Texas 11 Las Vegas, Nevada 11 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 San Diego, California 11 Austin, Texas 10 Miami, Florida 10 Portland, Oregon 10 Tampa, Florida 10 Buffalo, New York 9 Columbus, Ohio 9 Jacksonville, Florida 9 Mesa, Arizona 9

Texas is a source of a lot of casualties, but a third of them came from big cities (Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin). Ditto California (LA-Long Beach, San Diego).

I'm not sure what your point is here, either. Not many people live in rural America; they'd make a poor base for any kind of political movement. And on most issues, they're pretty conservative, so not really the most fruitful place for strangers to go knocking on doors. I doubt you'd be very well received in rural Ohio - or maybe you've tried it and found to the contrary.

Doug