[lbo-talk] Monbiot on 9/11 "Truth" Theories

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 21 14:03:56 PST 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Published on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 by the
> Guardian / UK
> 9/11 Fantasists Pose a Mortal Danger to Popular
> Oppositional Campaigns
> These conspiracy idiots are a boon for Bush and Blair
> as they destroy the movements some of us have spent
> years building
>
> by George Monbiot

I agree with this but it's really irrelevant. Nothing we can say is going to persuade those committed to conspiricism. Engels pointed out long ago that a whole congeries of kooks always gathers around the workers' movement. That changes only when the left becomes so large and active that the kooks simply become less visible. A left that can't grow while dragging along conspiracists, spiritualists, AIDS denialists, window-smashers, various sectarians, etc etc etc is not a left that is going to go anywhere. Nothing can be done about them directly, and a constant drawing in of one's skirts to indicate one's superiority to the riff-raff is a waste of time.

Carrol