[lbo-talk] Monbiot on 9/11 "Truth" Theories

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 21:09:41 PST 2007

You too, Shane? Very sad.

You have an excessively high opinion of the CIA, Mossad, etc. They are government bureaucracies. They don't work like Mission Impossible, with cutting edge technology and split second timing bringing about astounding results with the precision of high tech machinery. That's for-the-movies fantasies, They operate on the SNAFU principle like all government bureaucracies, see e.g., Catch 22. Or The Quiet American. They hire clowns like the late E. Howard Hunt. They miss connections. They fail to grasp obvious points. They ignore the research available from their own analysts (often quite good). They operate like rather lethal Keystone Kops who sometimes succeed because they are often up against bureaucracies as stupid as they and a lot less wealthy. A tolerably close look at even the declassified information available about any CIA covert operation will bear this out. It's true in Operation Phoenix they did succeed in decapitating the NLF by bribing poor villagers to reveal the identities and locations of top guerrilla cadre and help to kill them, but this is hardly the stuff of legend with cold, ruthless, utterly competent professionals do deeds of James Bond derring-do. The long and short of it, Shane, is you've been watching too many movies.