[lbo-talk] Why no world currency?

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 22 02:02:16 PST 2007

> On Feb 21, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Sean Andrews wrote:
> > Anyway, I was hoping someone on the list could shed some light on this
> > question: why can we not have a world currency?
>
> Money, as every Marxist schoolchild knows, is the reflection of a
> dense network of social relations - trade, capital-labor, state, etc.
> "Man carries his bond with society in his pocket," as the Old Man
> once said. So give that the world lives under an enormous variety of
> social networks - which intersect of course, but are far from
> identical - it makes sense that there are a whole lot of moneys. Look
> at the trouble Europe had creating the euro - and that was 50 years
> in the making, on a single continent, with a long history of
> economic, political, and cultural ties. We do have a "world" money of
> sorts, the US dollar, but that reflects the enormous power of the US.
> But it only works for certain kinds of transactions; people are long
> way from having only dollars in their pockets.

Reminds me of Greider's argument in his book on the Fed, where he claimed that:

"The Federal Reserve, quite literally, protected money's

illusions. The complex bundle of psychological meanings, the social

consent, the fantastic implications attached to money -- all were

sustained by concealment, an austere distance from popular

examination. The Fed provided that, with its secrecy and obscure

language, with its tradition of mystery and unknowable

processes."

[...]

"To demystify the Federal Reserve, one first had to understand that

money did not require religious faith or buried fantasies or

impenetrable technicalities. Money was, above all, a political

question -- a matter of deliberate choices made by the state. Money

was like all political questions decided by fallible human beings,

subject to he usual variables of political action -- understanding

and intent, influence and error. Money was an everyday argument

among competing interests, in which some would benefit and some

would lose, depending on the outcome. Money was a social plan that

rewarded or punished, stimulated or restrained. Money might

encourage democratic aspirations or thwart them.

"Strangely enough, there was a time when millions of ordinary

Americans understood this, even humble citizens with little or no

education. When the money question was alive in American politics,

before its meaning was repressed, before there was a temple called

the Federal Reserve, people knew that money was politics and that

democracy depended on it."

(_Secrets of the Temple_, chapter 7.)

I guess that helps explain why there's so much conspiracy theorizing about the financial industry. You know, with Rothschilds convening Jekyll Island in order to discuss the control of money and where best to put JP Morgan's cryogenically frozen body before he dies...

Tayssir