[lbo-talk] Elephants Return (was un autre article de Marianne)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 07:42:16 PST 2007

On 2/21/07, Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp> wrote:

> On 21 févr. 07, at 20:28, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > Well, between Royal and Sarkozy in the second round, I'd vote for her,
> > too, but that's not the question I'm asking here. The question is
> > where she has and is taking the SP and the country through her
> > political campaign, which is itself part of political education.
>
> Who knows ?
>
> I have little hope for the SP itself. After all it is not the SP that
> stopped Juppé in 95. It is not the SP that made Chirac dissolve the
> parliament in 96. And it is not the SP that won the elections in 2002.
>
> The SP was lucky that in 95, a few months after Chirac was elected,
> the alternative left was strong enough to organize massive strikes,
> it was very lucky that Chirac, out of sheer pride, decided to check
> if the French still "trusted" him, which led to the victory of the
> only left that is strong enough to take a majority of seats in the
> parliament, and it was very unlucky that Jopsin totally dismissed
> that alternative left that had put him in power, after 6 years of
> governing France.
>
> If SP members chose Royal it is because they are sick of the utter
> inability of the SP "elephants" to work with and for the left.

I agree with you that the traditional left parties, the SP and those to its left, are more an obstacle than a solution, apparently when it comes to elections in the short term and building a left hegemony in the long term. (More on that later.)

But today's Le Monde says that the elephants have returned, in part in response to the SP militants who were fretting that a sharper anti-Sarkozy offensive was missing and wanting the party as a whole to answer Sarkozy's team (and probably also the media, which had been rejoicing in the Left's apparent disarray).

<http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0@2-823448,36-870448@51-822961,0.html> MM. Strauss-Kahn et Fabius feront partie de l'équipe de Ségolène Royal LEMONDE.FR | 22.02.07 | 13h24 • Mis à jour le 22.02.07 | 13h24 -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>