[lbo-talk] Supreme Court tosses $ 79.5M tobacco award

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 22 10:07:27 PST 2007

The US Supreme Court, and the federal judiciary generally, are the most conservative of the three branches of government- given their life tenure and the charge of their office. That fact was obscured by the 25 -30 years of the Warren-Brennan Court when we had something that could be called judicial reformism.

That changed in the 1980s when Reagan packed the federal judiciary and the last survivors of the Warren-Brennan era (most of whom were Republicans BTW) died off or retired. Nonetheless, many liberals and progressives still believe that the courts are, or can be, defenders of our constitutional, human and economic rights. - such naive folks are probably the only people who actually took High School civics seriously.

As I alluded to in my comments, that belief has always served as the last line of defense for supporters of Democrat Party defenders to sell their candidtate to the grassroots. If nothing else works, talk about the court! Often it succeeds in keeping the party faithful in line. However, this recent case and the leading role of Stephen Breyer suggests the "save the court" claim is just another bill of goods.

Given the conservative nature of the court as an institution and the amount of time it takes to change personnel, the political character of the Federal Court system will be likely the last institution to feel the effect any meaningful social change.

As to voting, I vote Green. SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>