[lbo-talk] War Losses Mount for Small Towns

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 22 13:17:45 PST 2007

Chuck wrote:
> Look, if ANSWER, UFPJ and the labor unions are such skilled organizers,
> than certainly they can organize a national anti-war mobilization in
> Columbus, Ohio. Us Midwesterners always have to get on the bus for D.C.
> protests, so why can't East Coast people get on some buses to the
> Midwest? If you really want to stop the war, aren't you going to have to
> step outside your comfort zone?
>
> There are many anti-war and peace groups in the Midwest. Chicago itself
> has dozens of anti-war groups. I think that a Midwest or Southern U.S.
> protest would draw lots of people who are against the war and who don't
> go to protests on the coasts.
>
> Then there is the strategic argument for trying this. If the left wants
> to have any base outside coastal cities, it has to be active in the
> middle of the country. If you write off the Midwest (or the South or the
> Mountian states), then the Midwest will write you off. They'll just
> drift back to voting for right wing candidates.
>
> Chuck
Not just the Midwest but the South as well. 35,000 anti-war protesters in St. Louis, Memphis, or Atlanta is a bigger news event nationally than 35,000 anti-war demonstrators protesting (again) in D.C. It won't happen because organizers have already written off the Midwest. There is a shortage of skilled organizers in the Midwest and groups like ANSWER or UFPJ could do something about that if they were inclined. When they are approached about this the usual response is that either a Midwestern city wouldn't have a large enough turnout or else they suggest I organize it myself if I think it can be done. I'm not a skilled organizer with a large network of contacts or I would try. Many things CAN be done but that doesn't mean I can do them. All the small groups local to me that organize small local protests are all church based. As much as I'd like to help I simply cannot be civil long term to people who drag christ into every topic of discussion.I have tried and I just cannot do it.

John Thornton