[lbo-talk] Supreme Court tosses $ 79.5M tobacco award

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 05:32:02 PST 2007

I absolutely agree with the thought that courts should not matter as much as they do in this country. That is why I said that I agreed with the general orientation of Holmes' judicial philosophy. He was himself personally a rather fierce laissez social darwinist, a view he declined, mostly, to read into the law. However, given that courts do matter as much as they do, however little they should matter, the argument taht the courts don't matter is mistaken.

As to whether Clinton appointees to lower courts are likely to be liberal, I recall a study in a law journal that indicated that they were about as liberal as Nixon appointees, which is, by modern standards, fairly liberal. Speaking anecdotally, the Clinton appointed district court judge for whom I clerked here in Chicago was quite liberal in the full-blooded sense of the word, as was her "class" of judges appointed the same year. One of Clinton's appointments to the appellate court here was moderately centrist/conservative, far more so than the Bush I appointed judge for whom I clerked on that courts; his othe appointment was pretty liberal.

I have said what I have to say on question of whether "we" should support the Democrats and am not going to discuss the issue. It seem s pretty silly to me anyway, a matter of personal moral purity rather than political efficacy.