[lbo-talk] Iran Ready to Halt Enrichment Program If the West Does the Same

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 11:30:38 PST 2007

For the last couple of months, it's been frequently reported that there emerged increasing debates and questions about the nuclear program in Iran's media, including the media closest to Ali Khamenei, but it turns out that the program is essentially unchanged and if anything accelerated ("Iran's Nuclear Effort in High Gear, U.N. Says," 23 Feb 07, <http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-iran23feb23,0,5680059.story?coll=la-home-world>).

The President of Iran, however, says that Tehran will suspend its nuclear program if the West does the same. :->

The White House, meanwhile, is committed to its Iran campaign as well as all its wars and interventions, large and small.

What will Western leftists do about this?

"Mr Ahmadinejad brushed aside the threat [of US military action]. In an interview with America's ABC News, he said: "Why should we be afraid? First, the possibility is very low, and we think that there are wise people in the US that would stop such illegal actions. But our position is clear - our nation has made it clear that anyone who wants to attack our country will be severely punished."

Will we be living up to our reputation of wisdom? :-> -- Yoshie

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6427633,00.html> Iran Ready to Halt Enrichment Program Tuesday February 20, 2007 11:16 AM AP Photo VAH105 By ALI AKBAR DAREINI Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called on Western nations Tuesday to stop their own enrichment programs if they wanted his country to stop its own and return to negotiations.

Ahmadinejad told a crowd of thousands in northern Iran one day ahead of a U.N. Security Council deadline that it was no problem for his country to stop, as long as western nations did the same.

"Justice demands that those who want to hold talks with us shut down their nuclear fuel cycle program too,'' he said. "Then, we can hold dialogue under a fair atmosphere.'' -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>