[lbo-talk] watch those tweens & teens!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 23 13:20:48 PST 2007

[Merrill Lynch chief economist David Rosenberg puts out a top 10 list every Friday afternoon. Here's #8 from this week's edition.]

8) Watch out for those tweens and teens: this is the one demographic the USA has that no other G7 country enjoys, which is a 70 million+ pipeline of teens and tweens for businesses to focus on: far too much emphasis, in our view, is placed on the aging population and not enough on this bloated and burgeoning younger demographic (we wrote two reports on this in the past year and what we think it meant for mall REITs, specialty retailers, publishing, fast food etc). We noted last week how high-end retailing is now being dominated by teens and now we saw this week in the WSJ that financial advisors are increasingly seeking out this population cohort as well (see page D3 – "Affluent Teenagers Catch Interest of Money Advisors").