[lbo-talk] Eat in Baltimore was lobo & culture

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 15:24:30 PST 2007

--- Sean Andrews <cultstud76 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of commercial culture, Wojtek, do you (or
> anyone else in
> Baltimore) know of any good place to eat there? I
> live near DC and I
> am always saying that I'm going to go up and get to
> know Baltimore,
> but it is a hard place to figure out so my trips
> usually involve some
> sort of time-pressed necessity. In this case I am
> going up there
> tomorrow night to have dinner with a family friend
> and his mom who are
> visiting from out of town. They wany to go somewhere
> by the water, but
> I don't trust myself to choose a place based on
> external appearances
> alone. Any suggestions? I guess once you decide on
> the harbor the
> experience is already limited, but any pointers for
> the uninitiated
> would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

[WS:] There is plenty of restaurants near the waterfront, most of them pricey. I like Asian food, so my recoomendation would be Ding How (Chinese) at 631 S Broadway or Talay Thai Grill, 1911 Aliceanna St - both in Fells Point close to the waterfront and very reasonably priced. Waterfront Hotel (1710 Thames st in Fells Point) is good standard American fare.

If you are into Mexican food, El Trovador 318 S Broadway (Fells Point 5 min walk from waterfront) is not a bad place, however I have not been there for a while.

If you are into MD crabs - Obrycki's Crab House 1727 E Pratt st. is a must - however it is about 10-12 min walk up Broadway from the waterfront alomost to where I live :) and then turn right into Pratt and you will see the crab house. Black Olive (814 S Bond St) is close to waterfront and offers good Greek food, but a bit pricey.

After Fells Point, my suggestion is to venture to Mt Vernon "gayborhood:" Mt. Vernon stable (09 N Charles) excellent ribs, reasonably priced, Central Station (pub/restuarant) 1001 N. Charles, Brass Elephant (pricey) 924 N Charles.

There is, of course, Little Italy just north of Harbor East close to Inner Harbor - it is a well known tourist trap and pricey and does not need any recommednation.

Good Indian restuarant - The Ambassador Dining Room 3811 Canterbury rd (north of JHU Homewood campus) - a long trip from the waterfront (take a cab!), but worth it.

You can also check the City Paper for restaurant reviews at http://www.citypaper.com/eat/default.asp

I hope it is useful.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ TV dinner still cooling? Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV. http://tv.yahoo.com/