[lbo-talk] Cultural Consumption

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 20:58:26 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> This is rather anti-American for you, no?

I just like Tilbury's notion (inherited from George Steiner and W.G. Sebald) of art as money laundering. I don't personally endorse his boycott of the United States, not that my opinion matters one way or the other. Germany's involvement in Kosovo and Afghanistan has not prevented him from performing here (in Berlin last summer at the Tasten festival, and next month again with the Austrian group Polwechsel).

I've been thinking a lot the past few weeks about art and capitalism as a result of reading Julian Stallabrass. I know it is probably old hat for most of the people on this list, but I am curious about the outdated notion of revolutionary claims made for avant-garde work by figures like Clement Greenberg and my otherwise hero Adorno. I am also interested in the links between social position and taste. So my New Year's resolution is to finally get familiar with Bourdieu, and to read T.J. Clark's Farewell to an Idea.

As far as music goes, I want the book by Tilbury's AMM collaborator Eddie Prevost, _No Sound is Innocent_ but my local bookseller says it is out of print. Anybody on this list know of some good critical sociology of music?

____________________________________________________________________________________ Don't pick lemons. See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos. http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html