[lbo-talk] TX Gov. Perry signs exec. order mandating girls get HPV vaccine; Dallas families sue

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 08:13:42 PST 2007

[This is one of the few things Perry's done I think I support. But, this is Texas; listening to right-wing talk radio, there is a big hullaballoo that receiving the HPV vaccine will encourage girls to go on sex sprees. There are also some who say Perry signed the order mandating the vaccination because he has some shady backroom deal with Merck, the vaccine's manufacturer. But a lot of schools require vaccines -- and those vaccines are all made by SOME company somewhere, aren't they? What's odd is Perry's order even allowed folks to opt out of the vaccination with a letter, if I'm not mistaken. Not good enough, for some. A few Dallas families are now suing Perry. - B.]

HPV Vaccine Plan Under Scrutiny At Public Hearing

KXAN-TV

Doctors, public health experts and cervical cancer survivors are among those testifying Monday at the State Capitol on legislation aimed at overriding Gov. Rick Perry's cervical-cancer vaccine mandate.

This is the first chance for the public to comment on the governor's February 2 executive order. That order directed the Health and Human Services Commission to adopt rules requiring the vaccine for girls entering the sixth grade, as of September 2008.

At least one bill has been filed that would bar the state from moving forward with that order.

But we're expecting to hear some very emotional testimony from cervical cancer survivors, along with parents who do not support the governor's mandate.

Public health committee members will listen to Monday's testimony in preparation for a vote on House Bill 1098, which would prohibit immunization against HPV as a condition for admission to public school. Supporters hope to push it through quickly, in case Gov. Perry vetoes the bill.

The public health committee will also hear testimony about a bill which would require health officials to educate the public about the virus and the vaccine by creating and distributing brochures.