[lbo-talk] Cultural Consumption

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Sun Feb 25 15:25:51 PST 2007

I know about some decent material around improvisation. Ben Watson has a decent biography of Derek Bailey, that manages to overcome Watson's slightly tedious polemical style. Bailey's own book on Improvisation provides a broad cultural context of the various ways improvisation works in music, although it emphasizes practice. Cardew has some really provocative philosophical essays on the idea of improv before he became a Maoist, but the book is really dreadful. It's not even particularly good Maoism. The Cardew is online on a free avant-garde art site, which I can't think of its name for the life of me. I've read the Prevost book, and if you can get your hands on it, its really worth it. It's a real mix of Marxism, conversations on the nature of community, post-structuralism by other means, odd bits of orientalism, etc. One of the best books I've read in a long time. Other than that, there is obviously Adorno. By the way, if anyone knows about a decent bio of AACM/Art Ensemble of Chicago, that info would be greatly appreciated.

robert wood