[lbo-talk] Hitler and Children

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Feb 26 09:06:04 PST 2007

Chris:

*I have problems imagining Hitler as a human being. I cannot picture the guy suffering from a headache, taking a dump, or jerking off. (Ouch, I think I need some brain soap to wash out that last image.

[WS:] And that is precisely how the notion of greatness and officialdom is constructed - by expunging any notion of ordinary human activity, like eating, taking a dump, smell, perspiration etc. Official propaganda is very particular in that respect - you never see pictures of "great people" in ordinary life situation, except in tabloids. But the function of tabloid in this respect is similar to that of crime for the preservation of law and order - taking an exception to demonstrate the rule. Rules that are never transgressed cease to be seen as rules, and start being taken for granted, so they need to be occasionally broken to signify that there are still there.

If you look carefully around you, you will find the separation of everyday life activities being a norm in any hierarchical setting, e.g. the academia with dining rooms exclusively for faculty use, executive lounges at airports (so the commoners cannot observe the business elite dozing off or snoring), not to mention apartheid. The idea of these cumbersome arrangements is to expunge any notion that the commoners and the elite share the same "humanness," which invariably comes to mind when you share a table to eat a meal or take a leak in the same facility. Familiarity breeds contempt, and that is the last thing that the elite wants.

Wojtek