[lbo-talk] Marxism and Religion

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 07:59:58 PST 2007

Yoshie:

The conclusion that one comes to based on these facts is that the religion of Oscar Romero and and that of the Salvadoran Right are not the same, though they loosely belong to the same long-standing, extremely diverse and contradictory ideological tradition, just as Hugo Chavez's Marxism and Pol Pot's Marxism are not the same, though they loosely belong to the same longstanding, extremely diverse and contradictory ideological tradition.

[...]

I don't have a mount in this wild hunt (Odin having revoked my license - off he flew on Sleipnir, towards the merciless, azure sky, laughing, that thoroughgoing bastard) but I did want to perk up and say that this strikes me as luminously good sense. I fear however, that the rush and push of listserv frolics will cause it to be overlooked or unsweetly argued into oblivion.

As I've stated before, my family is quite thoroughly Christian in outlook; I don't share their beliefs though I grew up deeply dipped and understand the importance of their beliefs to them.

Following Yoshie, I note that Pat Robinson also calls himself a devout Christian.

Needless to say, the Robinson style of Christianity and that of my family are separated by a vast gulf not unlike the span of light years between our talking monkey civilization and the breathtakingly beautiful M31 (aka Andromeda).

What are we to make of this difference?

.d.