[lbo-talk] Jobs in religion, was Marxism and Religion

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Feb 27 13:22:11 PST 2007

``Without the gospel it would have been Saturday night without Sunday morning. There's strength in the tension...'' Dennis Claxton

There is a really interesting point underneath. The tension between the spiritual and the material is something that seems to me most art struggles with, because it lays exactly in the boundary between. Just about everbody somehow senses this tension. So the larger scale cultural movements toward or away from one pole or the other became extremely interesting to me. Gospel to blues to jazz. Mass, chants, incandations to concertos and secular forms.

Michelangelo's Cistine ceiling is supposed to be a spiritual celebration, but it is so fabulously a celebration of material power and command that it is very difficult to see it as a spiritual form at all.

I hear the call to Bread, at work... got to go..

CG