[lbo-talk] Jobs in religion, was Marxism and Religion

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 27 16:46:44 PST 2007

>It's crazy to vote for THE root of R & B.

I agree with that. Which is why I disagree with the statement "no r& b without gospel." There was a lot else going on.

>Religiosity can be a way of justifying arrogance and cruelty (so can any
>ideology), but it is also a way of raising the bar, and I am really
>surprised that so many on this list just don't get that.

I get it. I've defended religiosity as something undeniable in the work of Johnny Cash and Andy Warhol right here on lbotalk. What I'm surprised by is people on this list getting so preachy about the emancipatory powers of religion.

There are plenty of stories of the divide between gospel and blues/rock and roll. There's a theological conversation caught on tape at Sun Studios between Jerry Lee Lewis and Sam Phillips, who is trying to convince Lewis rock and roll can do the lord's work. Lewis vehemently denies it saying "I've got the devil in me." Skip James walked away from the blues to become a baptist preacher like his father. He didn't think the twain could meet. Blind Willie Johnson was a religious blues singer, but he's something of an exception.