[lbo-talk] Marxism and Religion

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 19:12:32 PST 2007

Still one of my favorite quotes of all time:

"All the revealed religions you come across in the world are full of tenebrous dogmas, unintelligible principles, unbelievable wonders, astounding stories, the whole mumbo jumbo invented, apparently, for the sole purpose of insulting the intelligence and flouting common sense ; without exception they all announce an invisible God whose existence is unfathomable. The behavior ascribed to him is as puzzling, as inconceivable, as his very essence...."

-- Marquis de Sade, Juliette, p.459.

Hey, Yoshie brought up the stuff about slavery-as-BDSM-play being kinky.

:)

-B.

Jim Farmelant wrote:
> Alas, the Quakers, Unitarians and Zen Buddhists
comprise
> only a tiny fraction of the religious believers in
the US.
> For most American religionists, religious faith is
the
> demand that one believe all sorts of improbable
things