[lbo-talk] Marxism and Religion

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 21:23:27 PST 2007

Joanna has a good point about the demands for irrational belief and obedience that are made by secular institutions, which are every bit as strong if not more so than those made by religious ones. For example the acceptable range of legitimate political discourse, as we here and others have often noted, is very narrow and requires one to profess belief in propositions at least as strange as the Virgin Birth, such as the unquestionable beneficence of US and Israeli intentions, the moral authority of free markets as opposed to government action and the badness of taxes, the fact that we are the Greatest Country In The World, etc.

Actually I think, and tried to suggest before in an awkward way, that most religious Americans don't give a hoot about theology and aren't interested in believing preposterous things or in blind obedience to irrational commands. (Look at what most Catholics do about contraceptives and even abortion.) I think that most religious Americans have a sort of civil religion that is a fairly big tent. Without paying too much attention to the tenets of whatever faith they may profess, they find (as a rule, I think) that it's enough if other people have some sort of, preferably Christian in some broad sense, faith, this basically as a sort of loose assurance of enough shared background to have some common ground for trust. I think what most religious Americans get from their own participation in religion, apart from the usual vague comfort of the feeling that someone is watching over them in a benign sort of way, is a sense of community, maybe even a real community, that is hard to find elsewhere.