[lbo-talk] Russian revolution material

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 09:20:58 PST 2007

joanna 123hop:

Barbara Tuchman called Trotsky one of the great historians of all time, and The Russian Revolution, one of the greatest works of history of all time.

I have it on my bookshelf. I've read most everything else he wrote, but this one looks formidable.

He's a really good writer.

Joanna --

I have that in Russian in 3 volumes, but only looked at parts of it. Trotsky in general kind of annoys me, as he was engaged in polemics a lot and I hate polemics.

If you ever want to read something inadvertently tragicomic on the Russian Revolution, read Ivan Bunin's Accursed Days, which is his diary from the period. He goes on about how the pogroms in the Civil War are all the Bolsheviks' fault* and how Denikin is going to save the Jews. He also seems to have really hated Asians.

*Although to be fair one of the head rabbis in Russia at the time said the same thing: "The Trotskys make the Revolution, and the Bronsteins pay they price."

Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!

____________________________________________________________________________________ Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check. Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta. http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_tools.html