[lbo-talk] Russian revolution material

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 10:34:15 PST 2007

Trotsky would indeed say he was no Trotskyite. "Trotky_ite" is a term of opprobrium coined by Stalinists to tar followers or alleged followers of Trotsky as adherents to a "cult of personality." Trotsky considered himself a Bolshevik or a Leninist. His followers call themselves Trotsky_ists_. Trotsky didn't use the term. This is of course ancient stuff from when the Trotsky-or-Stalin debate was a live on on the US and in fact the world left.

Is there some rule that an anarchist may not, without disgrace, buy or read a book by someones with whose political position s/he disagrees?

Trotsky was in fact a great writer of Russian prose, possibly the best writer period in the Marxist tradition after Marx himself. The book you refer to is called Literature and Revolution, and it is very good:

http://www.amazon.com/Literature-Revolution-Leon-Trotsky/dp/1931859167/sr=8-1/qid=1172686930/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5903490-5383951?ie=UTF8&s=books

Also noteworthy is Trotsky's History of the Russian Revolution, a gripping literary masterpiece that rolls like a freight train and is also factually extremely accurate -- obviously the interpretations he offers are debateable, but it's a great book, Good too are Trotsky's 1905, his history of the first Russian Revolution, and his My Life, an autobiography that is with there with Herzen and Gorky among the great Russian memoirs.