[lbo-talk] Marxism and Religion

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 10:47:02 PST 2007

W, maybe I am missing something, but about 40 years ago Milton Friedman and Richard Nixon proposed a perfectly good instant technocratic fix that would make poverty (at least in the US) go away pretty much "poof"-ishly. This was the negative income tax aka the guaranteed annual income. If anyone (or any head of household, details matter but not here) below the poverty line received from the government the money to make up the difference between his or her income and poverty line + one cent, there would be no poverty.

If the poverty line were set at a reasonable level, which today it is not, there would be no desperate need. Obviously there would be residual problems with people who because of incapacity, addiction, inexperience whatever, could not manage the money, but that cannot be a very large proportion of the poor.

On the global level there's no such quick fix because there isn't any reliable global mechanism to distribute the funds, and constructing one would be a vast and politically extremely tricky task.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Finding fabulous fares is fun. Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains. http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097